Lost count yesterday, it happens when they all blur into one, but now I am back on track.
I did some baking, well not some just one, I made a cake. Himself has been sadly lacking in cake this week, so it was time for me to act.
I made a chocolate cake. I have made this cake and an alternative to this one for years. It was always the “Turn To” cake for birthdays and celebrations, so much so that I made it for both eldest daughters wedding and for my sons.
This particular version is made using ground almonds, very simple to make and very simple to decorate.
For 20cm spring form pan you will need, and oven temperature of 150 C
- 200 grms ( 8 oz) bitter chocolate
- 175 grms ( 6oz) of each, butter ( unsalted), caster sugar and ground almonds
- 6 eggs, separated
- a slug of rum, brandy or whisky. ( about 2 tablespoons)
- Put the chocolate, broken into bits, along with the sugar and butter into a bowl and Microwave on high at two minute intervals, stirring in-between, should take maybe 4 mins.
- add the ground almonds
- beat the egg whites until very stiff
- add the yolks to the chocolate and the carefully add the whites
- grease a spring form pan and pour in the mixture
Put on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for approx. 45 mins. Check, and make sure that the top is really form when pressed.
Remove and leave to cool somewhat before tipping out ( carefully ) onto a cooling tray.
When totally cool, put on a plate and make a glaze by melting again in the microwave on high but at one minuet intervals 100 grms bitter chocolate with tablespoon of sugar and 1 oz butter . Take a look and a quick stir, as very often the chocolate will look not melted.
Stir well and pour over the top of the cake and let it run down the sides.
Take a look at the wedding cakes, a lot of chocolate and eggs were used !!!
One thought on “Week Five, Day Five ( for real)”
The wedding cakes are spectacular!
On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 1:20 PM oystersandchampagne wrote:
> Oysters and Champagne posted: ” Lost count yesterday, it happens when they > all blur into one, but now I am back on track. I did some baking, well not > some just one, I made a cake. Himself has been sadly lacking in cake this > week, so it was time for me to act. I made a chocolate cake” >