I like cauliflower, but rarely eat it. I almost never cook roast dinners, hence those vegetables that go with a roast get forgotten. BUT I always make for Himself Cauliflower and Ham Gratin ( Cheese) which he really likes. I never eat it, too many calories and too much Carb.
Consequently, when I saw this recipe or idea the other day, Perfect sprang to mind, and probably as many calories, but it appealed to my taste buds more. Simple to make, can be a main dish, served with rice, or naan, or can be served with fish or meat.
This recipe is very much an experiment, add more or less what you like but her goes with the basics.
- 1 cauliflower broken into small florets
- onion chopped
- about an inch of fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can chick pease ( or lentils)
- about 200 mils water or stock, use the water from the chick peas and make it up to 200 mls if being lazy and you have no stock.
- Salt and/pepper to taste
Par boil the cauliflower as you would normally.
Heat the oil in a pan, add the onions, garlic, ginger and spices, fry gently mix well. Add the coconut milk and stock/water along with the par boiled cauliflower and chick peas. Simmer for about 20 mins or so until the cauliflower is really tender.
Serve on top of rice, garnished with coriander.